Hey folks and welcome to another WIP Wednesday here at MDC! Most of what you'll be seeing today is stuff that I've been putting together for the past few months and is almost to the point of no longer being in progress (THANK THE GODS)!
As most of you know, I've been hard at work on one of my biggest commissions of my career thus far: the full armor suit for Leo from FE:fates. For those of you unfamiliar with the character, he looks like this:
Now many of you are probably aware that I've only ever made one suit of armor before in my life, for my beloved dracoknight Haar, and while it turned out fairly well, it wasn't the sturdiest in the world. So with this in mind, I knew I'd need a different strategy than the foamie & posterboard method I used for Haar. Obviously, the first thought was worbla. There was also the daunting notion that I had to make a full-torso platemail when Haar only had a small breastplate so this project was a bit intimidating, to say the least.
Fortunately I've learned a lot through making it, and I feel like the next armor projects I do will turn out even better (though to be quite honest I'm very pleased with how Leo's armor came out). But enough blathering, let's look at how this all came together.
The next few steps were pretty much the same for all of the pieces: After a few layers of gesso and some sanding, I sprayed on a few layers of shellac and then did a base coat in black. Once that was all done, it was time to lay down the base layer for the gold details. As I always remind you guys, putting down a base layer for your metallics is important. I have a section in my pain bin that is all paint specifically for this purpose. JUST DO IT IT MAKES FOR LESS WORK LATER. As you can see below, two coats of Honey Brown (Americana brand acryllic paint) is enough to get good coverage.
he last step is to seal everything with a layer of matte Mod Podge. Which I had actually already done in that photo above. You can see that it's not truly matte, but more of a satin finish. Either way, I love the amount of shine it gives and pretty much use it as a top layer on everything I make ever. It also does a great job of evening out your paint if you have/had to touch any spots up.
And that's that! There are a few other fun things that I got to do for this project, like installing some hinges in the two abdominal sections of the chest armor, as well as some buckles and straps in the breastplate pieces so they could hook together. I also put grommets in the shin guards and bracers so they could be laced up. Leo is going to be debuted at the end of the month, so I will be sure to pass along some photos of how the suit looks all together, since I'm not the one who's wearing it (and a lot of it wouldn't really fit me that well since I'm proportioned like a tree branch and not a normal human being).
For those of you interested in seeing more regular progress photos, I've been doing a pretty good job posting one every day on my Twitter, @mikeythelaguz under the tag #awipaday. Be forewarned that I use language not suitable for all audiences on twitter, and also livetweet video games and other such things so if you're just looking for progress photos, you can just stick to the #awipaday tag cause thus far it has yet to catch on so you'll only see my stuff :-)
You can expect wednesdays to be the most active days for me to be posting for a while as now that I'm finished with this huge commission, I have four others to work on, and need to be finishing them in the next two months. So needless to say I'll be spending most of my time crafting and not quite as much posting here, but I'll be sure to stop in at least once a week to unload all of my trials and tribulations on you lovely people. So until next time, ta.