Hey folks! Now that Ohayocon is over, I can actually sit down and put together another post. I promise I'll post a review of Ohayo soon, but I literally have 2 photos of my own cosplay and I'd like to wait until I get a few back so I actually have things to show you guys. So instead, I want to show you the awesome commission work I've gotten to do over the last month and a half!
First up, I churned out a Crescent Rose scythe super fast, since I was suppose to be delivering it at Ohayo this past weekend.
The majority of the scythe head/blade/whatever you want to call it is made from foamcore board (I know, but surprise) so that it's lightweight enough to actually carry around. I made the base of the spear point as well as the front blade out of MDF though, so it was more durable at the point. I've never used MDF (Medium Density Fiberboard) before, but I really like it. It's heavier than wood, but it cuts very nicely with a jigsaw, it doesn't split the way wood does, and it bevels nicely with a Dremel sander. I'll definitely be using it more in the future, particularly since I have a giant board of it that I cut out two tiny pieces for this...
The bit where the pole screws in is all cardboard layers (stiffer & stronger than foamcore), and the pole itself is a mop, the head of which I dismantled so you can unscrew the pole pieces. I did the same thing with the spear point, which attaches inside the gun section.
Here's the build mostly put together! Some of the details are craft foam (the blue parts), but a lot have that weird flowery pattern on them: I actually made them out of old vinyl (or something) place mats that I got from my mom. It's tougher than the craft foam so it's more durable and doesn't squish as much. Also, the bolt-action lever is just a wood dowel, and the sight on the gun is an Air-Borne container that I drilled the back out of so you can actually see through it.
Next up is painting! It happened in stages, and it started with red spray paint, because red is an annoying color to brush paint cause it doesn't cover very well. Detail coats, blah blah, you get the idea. Now, look at the beauty!
I'm super happy with how it turned out, and there's only one or two things I intend to do differently next time!
The other project I'm working on is some Young Genji armor for my awesome friend Tobi. It's primarily craft foam and worbla, which is how I did Leo's armor. The difference is the breastplate, which I made out of EVA foam. I haven't done a ton with it before, but it's definitely a solid material for cosplayers. The armor's not done yet, but here are some progress photos.
I'm up to the point where I can start painting tomorrow!
And that's all she wrote for this week. Check back soon to hear all about Ohayocon (and hopefully see some fun new photos), and to see the finished armor!